Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Now the strike is over…..


As I sat down to write this piece, the tunes of the song “now the day is over” came to my mind. If you sing that song along with me that is for those who know the song the next line reads night is drawing nigh… now I’m doing this so you won’t think night is drawing near for Nigeria as a nation … no far from it, rather I am excited at what the future holds for this great nation.. I am infused with great joy at the level of awareness of the average Nigerian on what good governance entails.
To say the truth, I was and just maybe I’m still disappointed that the NLC/TUC caved in when they did. In fact, it felt like air was slowly let out of me. It took a lot of friends and a retrospective look at the events of the past week for me to really appreciate the significance of what just happened to Nigeria. Ordinary people suddenly became more interested in how they where governed.  I saw people carry out selfless acts without being prompted. I saw people boldly question those entrusted with the responsibility to steer this nation in the right direction. I saw a people rise up to shake off the chains of subservience and passive attitude that had so beclouded the people from responding to the profligacy of successive governments.
I saw a people relating beyond ethnic, religious, socio-political and ethnic divide to ensure their voice was heard. I saw people face dangers beyond their capacity to bear and still stood their ground. I saw people exercise a lot of restraint and order in their conduct during the protest even though there was some black incidents in some places that led to loss of life and property but the truth be said, in the overall, Nigerians generally conducted themselves well. For emphasis sake for those that will seek to argue the last point, despite the reported incidences of malpractice in the last election, the election was adjudged by the majority to be peaceful, free and fair. Even the unfortunate events that took place after the results was announced did not detract from this overall perception of the election therefore, this last massive rallying of people against government insensitivity gets a very high score in its peaceful execution. Nigerians generally did not disappoint me.
There’s still a lot of work to be done and I daresay we are making progress speedily. Nigeria is not the same again as in, it is no longer business as usual for the political class.
Some people erroneously misunderstood the reason for the protests. They thought it was just to oppose government policy on the deregulation of the downstream sector of the oil industry in Nigeria. They felt people risked their lives just to force government to revert the pump price of PMS to 65N from where it was hiked to 141N and later fixed at 97N(cost of transport did not reduce oh). They felt some of us where seeking cheap popularity but they are wrong on all counts. We marched to say loud and clear to the federal government that enough is enough of government‘s inability to ensure the security of life of its citizens. We went to the streets to demand our right to life, our right to be safe and protected, our right to work and live wherever we desired in the country. We went out to remind the political class that they swore to uphold the Constitution of this great Nation. We set out to remind them that their responsibility is to the Nigerian people and not the other way round.
In summary, people marched for the opportunity to experience the Nigeria of their dreams in their lifetime. If this is not enough reason to even die for, then tell me what is… and guess what??? This is just the beginning.
The latter glory and greatness of Nigeria, shall supersede the former glory and I shall pray, work and live to experience it… Oh God of creation………..


No comments:

Post a Comment