Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Gal power!

Talking about gal power and women empowerment issues, I believe that ALL women, ladies and gals should be involved in this struggle (it has become a struggle). There’s a need for ALL of the female folk to pitch in their bit to help change the society’s view of women.

It is very difficult for men to see beyond the cleavages of women most times because that is all they see most of the time. It is said of the American female superstars that when they are getting to the end of their careers they decide to re-launch themselves by promoting their sensuality. In the entertainment industry especially the music industry, the guys do the singing or rapping or whatever and the gals do the dirty dancing and it doesn’t matter the age of the guy. What do you want people to think? The fashion mags are not left out when all most of them do is promote sensuality as opposed to feminineness and sex appeal as opposed to brain power.

As for me, I feel sad when I see this debased portrayal of womanhood when I know that is not how it should be. I wonder if all this women that do this erotic dance for all this musical videos are actually forced into or coerced into doing it. Like I said, it is difficult for me to accept that a semi dressed lady is more than that because the impression that comes to mind is SEX that’s all. I don’t know if I am coming across clearly but I just wanted to put all this down before I lose steam.

I believe in gal power in fact I believe that women have so much power if only they knew and I respect women a lot especially those worthy of respect and we have quite a lot of them to mention a few Oby Ezekwesili, Okonjo Iweala, Hillary Clinton, Condoleza Rice, Ellen Johnson Siarleaf, Michelle Obama and a host of others. These are clear examples of actual gal power which shows that such levels can be attained for women it just depends on how they place themselves. I strongly believe no one can make you do what you don’t really want to do or call you a name that is not yours except you allow the person. These women I just mentioned and others I haven’t mentioned got to where they are today by working hard and exhibiting feminineness and not sensuality(it will be rare for any of these above mentioned women to enter pages where they will be rated on their sensuality or sex appeal) on their fashion sense, yes but definitely not on sensuality. It will be difficult to imagine a vice president of the World Bank as having sexual appeal or even the female president of a Nation. I mean only her husband can see her that way and she does not come out screaming I am a sex symbol in everything she does.

I believe that if all women concentrate on promoting all other qualities they posses (which is quite numerous) rather than their sensuality alone, they will definitely have all the respect they deserve. Let female authors arise that will write the autobiography of the women I mentioned above and others like them, go to them; ask questions about their life and how they coped and all that. Encourage others to follow their footsteps.

Women will be taken more seriously if they understand their role fully and present a united front against such misrepresentation of womanhood.

I am a guy, I love women and above all, I respect them and believe in gal power.

   

1 comment:

  1. True talk Bro! Sometimes I wonder if their essence or power lies in them showcasing their bodies to the highest bidder. Today, the standard is that if you have it, flaunt it, even if it means at your own detriment.

    ReplyDelete