Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Now I know why the Nigeria spring never sprung-life on twitter…



January came and people thought, yes, Nigeria has reached the tipping point, the point of no return. People touted and spread the message of now is the time and all that. People compared it to the Arab spring that was successful in Tunisia and Egypt in that it brought about the much needed change in status quo. Gains and losses are still being counted though and Syria is still at it.
I had to sit and analyze life on twitter and it hit me why the Nigeria spring never sprung. The success of the mass revolt in both Tunisia and Egypt is attributed to the power of the Social Media.
Here is where I get to the crux of my write-up. Anyone is free to take offence at what I’m about to do because I am going to mention names or at least twitter handles to drive home my point.
I have been tweeting since July, 4 2011 with the twitter handle @SegunOmojola. I follow 208 people and I have 177 followers presently with 3108 tweets to my name. One of the reasons I joined the tweet train was to get published, add my voice to many other voices clamoring for a new Nigeria, link up with like minds, synergize, network and replicate the victories recorded in Tunisia and Egypt back home as well as tell the future where I stood in history. I got published, at least my blog has since enjoyed about 1037 visits since inception thanks to twitter and let me not forget FaceBook meaning I got read… that’s 2 down right? I made new friends also I wish I could mention all but here are just a few of the wonderful people that I can now call friends @blcompere, @PEPPEROSY, @tee_hidee, @_dlittleprince(no vex if I no metion you oooo *winks*) and let me not forget to add @willdeji and many others like them that I met for the first time on twitter. I know who you follow is purely your choice and no one can compel you to follow him/her, but, I followed all these people at the height of the OccupyNigeria movement because from their tweets and avatars, I could perceive that they were part of the OccupyNigeria Movement and some are even leaders. I mentioned and I got mentioned, I RT-ed and I got RT-ed as well from some of the people and we exchanged information, shared ideas and had a few lols together but wait, this is where I am going. A few who I noticed are at the forefront of the OccupyNigeria Movement were selective with their RTs and mentions. They choose to RT or mention only those they are familiar with and the worst is, they don’t reply or respond to questions or mentions directed at them. Now, how do you explain that? My timeline is filled with their activities so I know they are active online but RT them or reply their tweet or even ask a direct question and you get no response. I wonder if that was the attitude of the Tunisians and Egyptians, the Social Media platform would not have been a useful mobilization tool.
I will talk what me I know oh and based on my personal experience with the following handles I’m about to mention. Fear not, feel free to sue me if you so wish. I will furnish you with my address and phone number so you can properly address the writ of summons should you need to. Let me start with @gbengasesan who may not recollect me but I remember well from Akure back in the days when Youth for Christ was the only meeting point for young people( he may not recall me). A leading voice in the OccupyNigeria Movement, I have asked direct questions from him on more than one occasion yet no response and he is a young person like me. Is it that he is so busy? I have equally directed questions at @omojuwa and @ogundamisi, I RT-ed @KathleenNdongmo and less I forget @toluogunlesi but none of these people responded in any way to my direct question, mention or RT. These are influential people in their own rights judging by the number of their followers and I perceive that they are at the forefront of the OccupyNigeria Movement. I am not aware of the need to register to be a part of the OccupyNigeria Movement beyond having a burning desire to see tangible and measurable positive development occur in Nigeria I would have done so, so that I can be part of the clickclique.  Also, I’m not suggesting that it is possible for you to respond to every possible mention or RT( though I wonder how the next set of people I’ll mention do it)but a direct question??? I wonder if one Tunisian to another or Egyptian to another needed to have known one another before sharing a drink or even a tweet as they mobilized to vent their feelings. You may think I am seeking attention and followership by this blog post of mine, you may be right, but take time to follow me through on this and feel free to reach your conclusions of me but note that I am not attacking the character of these people, no, I’m just pointing out what I noticed to still be an issue with the Opposition in our Nation and if opening myself up to class action will cause us to begin to notice, then so be it ( I hope the government will provide me with a lawyer for free ooo). Let me move to @elrufai, @PObahiagbon and even @ALIBABAGCFR who continue to lead by example. These three as far as I know take time to reply, RT and respond to direct contact, RTs and mentions (though egbon Alibaba never notice my attempt at knock knocking), but I see their timeline and I notice even with their principled stance, they respond to people they don’t even know and no matter how stupid the question or comment. They even take the time to tell you that you have been blocked if you pass your boundary. My fear is, if we can’t get along on a virtual platform, how do we get along in real life? Go through the tweets of the likes of those I mentioned before these present three, it is filled with objective critic of the government and the bigotry of people and how we all should be united in the fight to enthrone good governance and yet, insignificant me is not noticed not to talk of them taking time to just respond to a direct question, or RT or even mention. I wonder if this kind of thing happened in Tunisia or Egypt as they mobilized for change. I wasn’t there and I wasn’t part of it so I can’t say. I don’t know if there are any others on twitter that noticed what I am talking about but as for me, I decided to stick my neck out and do something about it and if I’m wrong, I stand to be very corrected via any means those I mentioned may choose to do so. I may be insignificant, but I exist and that’s what should count. Courtesy demands that you are not rude even to strangers and not responding to direct inquiries is considered rude everywhere. How do we successfully call the government to order when our unity is out of order? Supposing we successfully take over the reins of government as youth, how will we not be different from the government we removed? If I can’t enjoy the privilege of courtesy on twitter, how will I have the confidence to approach you in real life or even work towards a common cause with you? And we are quick to highlight the governments insensitivity and obvious disconnect from the plight of the masses. I am not judging, I am merely making an observation. I dream of a better Nigeria for me my family, my friends, my children. We do not have to like one another for whatever reason, but we can still work together for a common cause. All differences aside, and united of purpose not by mere words but in deeds, that’s the way to go. I felt I had to do this and I have and if my message is not understood as it should be, then the OccupyNigeria Movement never was and will never be and that’s why the Nigerian spring never sprung…Selah.
*NB* I am sorry I had to mention names and all but enough of hiding to make a difference. For the sake of those who may take offence and want to sue, find my home address and phone number below… if I die, I die but Nigeria must be great again.
Babtunde Oluwasegun Tolutope Omojola
14, Akinleye-Martins street off Oyemekun road, Akure. Ondo state.
Mobile-08038194265

3 comments:

  1. Relax, no one is going to sue you.

    So, what were the questions you had? Please send to gbenga.sesan [at] pinigeria.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pele o Segun. The thing really peppered you. Lol. It worked though, the "mighty Gbenga Sesan" commented on your blog. I hope he's now following you on twitter because he only follow those who add to his life. The Nigeria Spring was a wishful dream at most, but then, wait for the return of the prodigal sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broda mi. I hear you. Hmm. Lol. Tons for the comment. I and Gbenga have since exchange a couple of mails but I no know about the follow oooo.

    ReplyDelete