Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Should I die, today…

How often do you think about death or dying? When you do, what do you think about? When I talk of thinking about death, I mean just plain pondering the thought that someday, you will die. Considering that dying is not restricted to old age, I mean now we have what we term ‘life expectancy’ and this varies from Nation to Nation. Are you prepared to die? Or sorry, are you prepared for death? Should one even think about it? Here I am mentioning it so much that I feel you may begin to think that this is a horror article. Relax, it is not.
I occasionally mull over this issue of death and here are my thoughts; what is going to happen to those that are close to me when I die? What are people going to say about me? How many people are going to miss me? Why will they miss me? How will I be remembered? For how long will memories of me last in the minds of people that know me? Note that I don’t bother myself about when death will come neither am I afraid of it; my only concern is what legacy will I leave behind? If the world continues for many years after I have left, will my life affect generations that will come after me? What am I doing now that will last till the world remains? Or most importantly, have I lived my life to please Him who sent me?
This and more such questions run through my mind from time to time. What about you? Are you afraid of death? Or you are one of those who desire to postpone dying or even attain immortality? The only way you can attain immortality is through Christ’s atoning death. Man must die and that is certain and those who won’t experience the physical death will be transformed – read 1st Thessalonians 4: 17.
Our duration in this world is limited and therefore we must think about death and related issues i.e. Life. I have Life, hence my confident handling of this issue but my main focus in this piece is; how are we prepared for death knowing that we all are not going to die at once at least not yet but we are likely to leave people behind, e.g., spouse, children, parents, relatives, friends the list goes on – I hope I am not hearing that God forbid? – the reality that death can come knocking at any time T and occasion O where T and O are undefined should be frequently considered after all death is not a punishment especially for those who embrace Grace and I say like Paul the Apostle in Phi 1:21  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. e-Sword KJV.
One way to prepare for this eventuality called death is for all, especially African men to write their will. Failure to do so complicates matters for those left behind. You make it very difficult for your life’s work to be transferred to those who deserve it. Remember that we are yet to totally do away with some of our barbarous traditions and practices that disinherit our loved ones after our demise and the law permits the Government to allocate a percentage of such unwilled wealth to herself. Okay, forget that I used the word remember to start the last sentence, let me not assume that you already know therefore note now and commit the earlier sentence to memory. Our death should not cause heart ache for those that will be left behind. It shouldn’t be reason for any kind of conflict, strife or even war. As we are making plans for the future, let’s never forget that DEATH is a real and tangible part of that future because the last I remember, no one knows tomorrow and only God is privy to that. Those who know God stand a chance to know too because He sometimes chooses to share some things with us.
If you wish to do away with your fear of death, get to know God through Christ. He loves you more than you’ll ever know. And please, make sure you write your will soon, please. You don’t have to wait till you own the world. Poor people die too and their death causes untold hardship for the left behind as even the little they left behind does not get to their beneficiaries, very baaaaaaad.  My fellow African men please don’t let the superstitiousness of the African mindset hinder you from doing the right thing. Write your will today; better still make all future investments in the name of your spouse and children. This helps too.
Einstein, Shakespeare, Martin Luther Jnr., Plato, Homer, Michel Angelo, Mozart Ghandi and a lot more, I never had the opportunity to meet one on one but I will certainly feel them till tomorrow. What about you??? 
I believe I have briefly discussed one main issue with two points here and that is death is a constant this side of eternity so, live your life in such a way that people will have fond memories of you and be impacted by your legacy. Also, leave your loved ones in peace after you are gone by writing a will now before your time comes.
Ooops, lest I forget, seek to know God and a lot will be settled by that. A relationship with our Maker is gem, life, peace, joy, name it… in Him, we can live forever together in eternity. Oh, death where is thy sting… 1st Corinthians 15:55.

No comments:

Post a Comment